Thursday, March 29, 2012

The Yashica G35 Rangefinder - Tested And Approved

So I posted about testing out the Yashica Electro G35 rangefinder..  I found it to be a rather interesting camera, with a great electric eye that seems to do a great job of setting the shutter speed to the selected aperture based off the amount of ambient light.  Sure, it doesn't meter through a filter, so you have to adjust your film speed based off the filter number, which truly isn't that difficult a task, except if you forget to change the filter factor when you remove said filter, or add one.

So through it all, I really love the camera and the way it works!  I have to spend a bit more time getting acquainted with it.  It's a great camera, with super sharp lens, and a brilliant rangefinder.  The image is very contrasty, and simple to use.

Took it out today and shot some Polypan F 50 on it.  To prove that the meter was working properly, and the electric eye was seeing the world as it was supposed to, I developed the film normally.  Instead of using Rodinal 1:100 for an hour, I decided to use Ilford Ilfosol 3 1:14 6:30.  I love this Ilfosol 3 stuff, it's almost identical in results to XTOL, except it doesn't seem to like my water from the tap.  It's the only developer that reacts that way too, so it looks like I'll be sticking with XTOL and HC-110 for the next little while.  Mind you, I just picked up a box of ID-11..


No comments:

Post a Comment