Monday, March 26, 2012

Canon AE-1 Returned!

Today I finally took my AE-1 out for a spin.  It needed the excercise, as did I...
Canon AE-1 w/24mm OSAWA ƒ/2.8 FD Prime




















 After its brief interlude with the repair shoppe, due to a failed shutter, I got a chance to give it a fair run.  The camera seems to be operating perfectly!  The meter is accurate, as expected, and the shutter sound is awesome!  I don't know what sound I prefer for a shutter..  The quiet, yet near perfectly engineered cha-clicka of this camera, or the more defined chiclick of the Spotmatic.  It's truly hard to say.  Both sound great, and are a dream to use.
I believe I might have to say, as close as it is, that I prefer the sound of this AE-1.  I'm pretty quick about checking the DoF preview, and making rapid adjustments on the camera when needed.

Now that it is back, it's going to get a well needed workout.  Although it did get a serious workout last year, I'm intending on doing much more with it this year.  Already it's started out slow, due to it being in the shoppe for 3+ weeks.

As the day went by, I found myself wondering how to get the film I was shooting processed.  Not where, but how.  It's an old roll of Kodak Ektachrome 100.  Not E100G or E100VS or anything like that, but just straight Kodak Ektachrome 100ISO Film.  I have no idea on the age of the film either.  It came to me by ways of being stuck in a Yashica Electro G35 camera.
I opened the back of the Yashica, much to my surprise, to find a roll of Ektachrome PRIMED and ready to go!  I was both shocked, upset, yet elated to see.  The film was NOT exposed (as far as I can tell) but primed and ready to go.  Well, I rolled it back into the can, which was just a quick stroke of the wheel, and it was disengaged from the camera just like that.

So popping it into the AE-1 meant that I might get some usable images on it.  Maybe!  I am hoping that I shot it at a slow enough speed to cut down on the base fog. 
As I am unawares on how it was stored, other than in the back of a camera, I can only assume that it will be a stop or so slower.  Which is fine, but I'm worried about the severe colour shifts that might have happened.

Really took my time with this, shooting slowly, and deliberately.  Really hope that I get something!  Even if I have to convert the image to B&W to be usable, I'm game!

Hope I'll have something to post in the future from this film...




UPDATE : Got the film back, and it was blank.  Unfortunately it was too old...

No comments:

Post a Comment