Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Rollei-ng Walk

Rolleicord V - 75mm ƒ/3.5 Xenar Lens - Kodak EKTAR 100
Processed At Toronto Image Works




I have a thing for park benches, that is true. Something about the look, and design of many park benches just gets me drooling for a photo of them, and honestly, I can't really say why.  Perhaps it's just the intrigue of the future opportunity to have a photo-shoot revolving just around a park bench, or perhaps that the design of many are age-old yet unchanging.
I just know that I really can't help myself whenever I happen to come across a park bench, especially one that looks like it is either an antiqued design, or one just well thought out.
This one, although rather plain, does have some interesting character to it.  The arms and legs are nicely curved... Look at me, describing the character of a park bench!?  Man, I need to get out more..
Well, this gave me a good opportunity to give the camera a whirl.  I don't always get the chance to put it through its paces, but from time to time I do get the odd chance to give it a bit of a workout.  This is one of those cameras that I can't leave it sitting for months on end.  I just have a hard time taking it outside, as it is just so unique that I feel it'll be viewed with such envious eyes.  My Duaflex IV has gotten similar looks, except I wouldn't care as much if someone tried to rip me off of that one.  I would care, but hardly to the same degree as my Rolleicord.
The whole aspect to shooting with this camera is rather unique, from the composition, to how your hold it, to how you cock and fire the shutter.  It's just different, yet far from uncomfortable.  In fact, I really like how it works, although the shutter cocking level CAN slip out of your fingers while you're actuating it, which can easily cause the shutter to trip, wasting a frame.  Of course, I've learned, quickly, how to combat this.  It's really simple, actually, by simply covering the taking lens while you cock the shutter, if it slips and fires, well, you haven't wasted the frame at all, so you are free to recock the shutter and take the photo.
I've saved many frames of film this way, but I must admit.. It doesn't ALWAYS work out like that.  Sometimes I forget to cover the taking lens when setting the shutter, and it slips and fires. A bit of a pain, but a constant remind to myself is all it takes for me to remember, "Cover the lens!"

Hopefully I'll get some more 120 film to take out with me soon, and give this camera another fair workout.
Until then,

Keep those shutters firing!

Cheers


No comments:

Post a Comment