Monday, March 26, 2012

Smartphone Photography

Between using my Canon AE-1, Pentax Spotmatic SP, and a little HTC Kaiser (AT&T Tilt) from 2005, my day was definitely interesting.

A walk through Cruickshank Park, a park that is going to be interesting to shoot in the summer under the full sun with IR film, grass everywhere, trees, and some nice waterscapes.  It will definitely be fun!

I do have some 35mm Efke IR820 film handy, but I'll be passing up on it for the time being, as we're not getting the right kind of light, nor do the trees have enough foliage on them.

Anyway, on to the real topic at hand.  Shooting with an HTC Kaiser smartphone.  It's a 3mp super small CMOS sensor, but the photos that are taken with it are surprisingly sharp!  Sure, you get some chromatic aberrations, can't shoot RAW, and get some easily blown out highlights.  Big deal, it's all part of the fun!

Sure, I didn't take anything special that day, just a bunch of photos of my AE-1, but it taught me something about the camera on the phone.  It is pretty powerful!  I know, it's more about the person behind the camera, instead of what the camera is that they're using, but the fact is, it's a very fun little camera to use.  It produces nice sharp images, with very good colour saturation, without being over the top (typical of digital) and excellent sharpness. 
It also produces some decent bokeh, considering the extremely small focal length. (4mm)  But, I'm sure in 35mm equiv. standards, it's probably closer to 35mm or 45mm, but not entirely sure.

There will be more images to come, not from today, but in the future.  This truly is a fun little camera to use, as you have to be very inventive to get a good shot!

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment