Saturday, April 21, 2012

Youngsters & Cameras

Pentax Espio 738 ZOOM
I recently purchased a Pentax ESPIO 738 for my son.  Now, it's nothing fancy, just a P&S zoom camera that has a few little neat features, like fill flash, no flash, and BULB.  Yes, BULB on a P&S camera, including FLASH SYNC with BULB.  The interesting thing about it is the simplicity of its use, and that my son loves it.  In fact, he picked it out, and asked me with a pleading face if he can get that camera, which I gladly obliged.
Dead-WoodI took this camera out for a run, just to see what sort of images it is capable of taking, of course, in capable hands.  What I got was nothing short of quite nice.  From some great landscape shots, to a few interesting shots of some.  To the right is one of the shots I thought would make for some interesting bit of landscape.  A small cluster of winter dead wood.  Of course, it could be that the trees were not quite ready to return to the land of the living, being that it is still relatively early in the year for it, but at the same time, there is a fair bit of greenery sprouting up.  I mean, April 18th isn't exactly late spring, but it should be late enough that even a bud or two should have popped up.
Nonetheless, back to the story at hand.  I have been teaching my son how to hold and use a camera, but not to the point that he's going to be an expert, and he's far from ready to use a SLR or rangefinder.  I mean, come on, he's 4!  Perhaps when he is 7 or 8, then I'll move him up to a SLR if he really wants to use one.
At Ease Soldier
But the fun thing is that he's learned how to use it, and without actual instruction on composition, or lighting, or anything like that, he has just started to shoot images how he feels they should be.  I won't stop and say, "no that's not how you do that.." In fact, I think that since he doesn't have any preconceptions on how to take a photo, they are far better than they would be if he stopped to think about RULE OF THIRDS.
Sure, that image is "out of focus" and a little underexposed under the hat, but seriously, again, he is 4, and I'm not expecting him to work absolute miracles.  But, think about it.  The soldier, because he looks like he is a British soldier out of the second world war (or earlier) is not centered, but not so tightly cropped at the side of the frame that his arm is cut off.  In fact, it's fairly well done with his shoulder being JUST inside the frame enough that it's not crowding him, plus he's even looking toward the center of the frame, which again, would be considered to be very proper composition.
This shot really impressed me, and did so in such a way that I think I'm going to take him out again soon to take part again in more impromptu shooting.  But I think this time it's going to be with much better lighting than overcast skies.
Finally, the last image that I was very impressed with is this one.  That's me, by the way, holding my Bronica ETRs, and he wanted to take a photo of me holding that camera.  He really likes my Bronica, but says it's too big and heavy.  I always tell him that's because it is a very big and clunky camera but it's Daddy's camera only!  Needless to say, he has never once tried to pick it up to use it.
I will have to take it out again for some more shots around the city, and hopefully even more portraits. 
I really do hope that Nikolas will continue with using a camera, beyond just as a passing fancy, but really go beyond a hobby or as an amateur photographer.  I hope he does so professionally, because he has the talent for it, and I really do beleive that he'll go far if he continues with it. 
Since he doesn't have any misconceptions about it, or any kind of preconceived notions of how a photo should be, I believe he will be great.
The most intersting thing about the photo he took of me, is that I'm completely in the frame.  He made sure of it, and even the rotation of the camera is a huge benefit to this photo.  Definitely does he show a hidden talent, and this is one talent I plan on nurturing, but not pressing.  I hope he continues with it, I really do, but pressuring him into shooting photos if he doesn't want to, that I won't do!

Until next time, keep this shutters firing...

If you have kids, encourage them to pick up a camera, you might be surprised to see how the world looks through a childs' eyes.  I know I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment