Saturday, April 21, 2012

A Roll In A Day/A Day In A Roll - Take 2

So today marks the day for a second take on this little adventure that was started in March.  As you recall, I participated in that one and truly had a great time with it.
Currently, it is only 9:41am, and I have only shot 2 frames of film with the camera I have chosen to use, my Exakta VX IIa 35mm SLR and using a Waist Level Finder.  I might switch it out to a Prism Finder later in the day, but I really like the WLF on this camera.  It's different, and compares, although not fantastically, to the one on my Rolleicord V.  During the first RIAD I used a Canon EOS 500N/Rebel G, which is a nifty little 35mm camera, and a wonderful camera to use due to its small size, light weight, bright viewfinder, and EF mount which I have multiple lenses for, but I feel is a little like cheating, with its AUTOFOCUS and AUTOEXPOSURE settings, which can easily make you lazy in the way you shoot your images.  Flip to Av (Aperture Priority) mode and you can pretty much just shoot the images you want without really thinking much about it.  Of course, this is a preferred method of shooting for many people, digital and filmies alike, but I prefer the more manual method found on non-auto cameras.

So ARIAD/ADIAR #2 is underway, and looking like it'll be not much different that the first one..  Working for part of the day, and dark dreary and rainy outside, but it's supposed to brighten up, and clear to variable cloudiness and sunny blue skies.

The original idea was floated by J. Nicholls, on March 17, 2012 in the I Shoot Film forum on Flickr.  It was, and still is, a well thought out idea for many of those that shoot film who only go through a roll or two a week, or more.  I, personally, do not shoot less than a Roll a day, but on occasion I will only go through a frame or two on a roll. 
It has garnered much success, and has also caught the attention of the Flickr Blog, not once, but twice, which has caused a number of members to gain some strong interest in their photos that they took that day, and has hopefully also increased the interest in film as well.
I do enjoy seeing the results that people have posted during their time on the first occasion that they shot a roll in a day, and I am excited to see what everyone has shot during their second excursion out with this nifty little adventure.

I do believe that there are a few more people taking part this time around, which might garner even more interest in Film, or at least in film photography.

Right now, Mr. Nicholls has let the idea fall under the control of these two people, Marcelo Yanez (Kil. Trout), and Josh Johnson (Josh Wolf), who are both doing a fantastic job. 
Both are avid film photographers, followed up with this idea and have really run with it.  Letting the group of people who participate, and even those that would like to participate in the future, each have a say in what goes on, and how/when future days will take place.
From the start, this project has gained in popularity, and I believe it will continue to do so.  Those that wish to take part in this ongoing project can do so as they wish, whether it is monthly, in its current incarnation, or bi-monthly, quarterly, or even yearly if they see fit.

A smart idea this turned out to be, and I feel it will continue to gain momentum as the year progresses.

Cheers to keeping this project on track..

Keep those shutters firing!

No comments:

Post a Comment