Friday, April 13, 2012

Highpark With A Nettar

Took my family out to High Park, and thought we'd have a little bit of a photo-walk through the park.  Who was I kidding?? Through the park?  Yeah right!  Literally only to one spot, and that's it.  We ended up shooting a roll or three with these silly Geese..
As odd as it may seem, but they were rather tame.. err, well they weren't afraid of people at all.  In fact, they were eating out of our hands!  One even came right up to my Bronica and stuck its head out almost to tap the lens with its beak.  Yeah, that was interesting.  I do have to get those images developed too, because they will most likely be some really other worldly images!
I was very happy with a lot of the results from this camera.  Very sharp lens, and a simple zone-focusing system. In fact, I was very impressed with the depth of field I got with this camera, considering it's just a 75mm lens, and not one that's all that fancy.

Well, I got some great depth, and excellent results!

I had originally shelved my Nettar after it took an unfortunate tumble, and damaged the case.  There is a part on the bottom of the base plate that is bent, and actually a little separated from the body.  It's not too bad, and I'll probably just JB weld it in place, which is a high textile epoxy adhesive for binding metal to metal.

Needless to say, I am glad I moved this camera back into rotation. 
To be honest, I wasn't going to until I saw this image by Josh Wolf which actually inspired me to start using this camera again.
The simple operation of this camera, combined with the lightweight design means that you can use it continuously without ending up fatigued.  The only issue is the lack of a rangefinder.  This camera could be truly amazing if it was coupled with a rangefinder, better shutter, perhaps a Prontor, and a faster lens, but stopped down, like the above images, at ƒ/11, it wouldn't make too much of a difference.  But I have a feeling it would be a touch sharper.

Either way, I am still very happy with this camera, and it's a fun camera to use, and try to figure out.  There is no Parallax correction in the viewfinder, so you have to make mental notes about cutting off heads and other various parts of the body.
The 6x6 frame is also tricky for portraits and for framing up the images.  When you're used to doing portraits in 35mm or with 4x5 film, it's a change when it's 6x6... Although it's fairly simple as well with 6x4.5..

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment