Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Christmas Portraits

So last year, shortly before Christmas, I did some portraits of my sister's kids. 
I used some Rollei Retro 80s, as well as some Digital shots and Kodak Ektar 100.  The studio session went as I expected, but I wanted to try some Fuji NPS 160, and shoot off a few frames in my Praktica L2.
Studio setup was fairly simple, with a keylamp (SunPAK Auto 622 Pro) AC Slave bounced in an umbrella, Fill Lamp (Canon 199A) and a secondary slave b/g lamp.

Attached to my Praktica L2 is a lens that I no longer have, my Yashica Yashinon-DX Auto 50mm ƒ/2.  Fantastic little sleeper lens it is, as it is a chrome-nosed little lens from the mid-60s.  It's an older design, not the best looking lens, but it serves its purpose quite well.
When I took this, I was actually just testing out the camera and wanted to see how this camera performed in a studio setting.
Sure enough, it looks like it performed rather well!

Although I didn't get a chance to use this camera for the portaits at all, I did get the chance to see how it performed in a studio session, and will use it again should I get the chance.  I no longer have this lens, as I traded it to a friend of mine for his Exakta VXIIa, which I thoroughly love, and have to get it into a studio session soon!

But unfortunately I ended up shooting with my Bronica ETRs and my Canon EOS 40D only, and really wish I could have had the chance to use my Praktica for more than just some test shots.  I guess I'll have to get the chance in the future, but for now it'll have to be delegated for some outdoor time and see what I can do with it that way. 

I had a fair bit of fun doing these shots, and my sister was more than pleased with them.  She doesn't have a lot of photos of her kids, so getting a full set of portraits, three 8x10s (one of each of her kids) plus an 11x14 of all three, and I think she really enjoyed her Christmas gift last year.

Hopefully I can do something far better this year, and get some more portraits for her.  Plus, I think I'll be doing some of my parents' this year, and my brother and his wife.  Time to crack out the 4x5 for some serious work!

No comments:

Post a Comment