Friday, February 3, 2012

A Sad Day In Toronto....

Today was a sad day indeed.  After 57 years of servicing Toronto with their photographic expertise and experience, Silvano Colour Lab has closed its doors for good.

As they succumb to the crushing weight of the Digital Era with lack of prints and the press of less and less film processing, they have decided that it is time to end their time in the city.  Without plans to reopen their doors in a smaller location, it truly is a dark day for Toronto, and the film industry.

The cloud cover and dismal lighting suited the feel of the day, as I look back and remember, fondly, the enjoyment I received from having their lab process and mount my Slides, or the sheer amazement when I was handed over the prints for clients and family.

Thank you Silvano, you will truly be missed!

57 Years Of Service
Shot on Agfa Optima 1a w/45mm ƒ/2.8 Color-Agnar lens & Polypan F 50ISO film souped in Kodak XTOL 1:1 for 9.5 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Even way out in Calgary, I heard about this closing. Much sadness. It won't be long before we'll have to do all of our own developing at home (b&w should be simple enough, but C-41?!)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's apparently really simple to do, provided you can get the chemicals for it. I know BHPhoto sells it in the US. They have the Tetenal kit for doing your own C-41... I also believe that Freestyle sells C-41 kits as well.
      Right now C-41 is still easy enough to come by that I'll hold off on processing C41 myself.. it's the E6 that's the toughie! I might have to bite the bullet and start doing that myself.

      Delete