Friday, June 28, 2013

A Fleeting Moment..

I recently read that Photography is usually a series of accidents that just happen to line up at the right moment.
I honestly believe that.  What are the possibilities that the light, subject, background, and moment just line up perfect on purpose?  Probably near on impossible.  But through an accident it all lines up, and you get that right moment!
With Still Life it's a rather controlled experiment that can be duplicated again and again, but for a moment in time captured that will never happen again, a series of accidents has to take place.
You just have to be there and manage to capture that accident when it lines up at the right moment.

The photo in question is this, of my sister-in-law.
She just happened to be looking away, at what I have not a clue, but the moment was perfect.  The light was just right, the expression, angle, and tones for a photo were perfect.
I had only one camera handy at that moment, my Canon EOS 40D.
Do I wish I had a film camera available at that moment?
Perhaps, but the best camera is always the one you have in hand.
Whether it is a phone, a dSLR, or a film camera.
Whatever is available to help you capture that moment in time.
Of course a phone would never give you the same depth that a dSLR or a 35mm can ever achieve.

Calm

Photography might be a series of accidents, but I'm getting quite good at noticing them as they happen!

Until next time fellow bloggers... Keep those shutters firing!

2 comments:

  1. I don't know I would call it a series of accidents. More the "decicive moment". But either way it's a great portrait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve!
      It's a series of, improbable events? maybe?
      But if you consider that it's by chance/accident that the subject would be in the right position under the light that is the most idea to make it the most flattering image..
      I just don't feel that you can really stage a photo similar to this and capture it the same way..
      But I agree with you, a great portrait indeed! One, that my sister-in-law, is saying is getting "Too much attention!"

      Delete