Monday, April 9, 2012

The Kodak Signet 35c

Battle Scars
Perhaps one of the most elegant cameras that Kodak has produced, is the Kodak Signet 35c.  In comparison to its predecessor, the Kodak 35 Rangefinder, with angular lines, bakelite case, and strange items jutting out from here and there, this one is extremely simplistic.  The shutter is a simple 4 speed shutter, with speeds of 1/25, 1/50, 1/100, 1/300 + B, it is also the camera's weakest link.  After many years of disuse, perhaps probably in the vacinity of 30 to 40 years, the shutter has developed a minor hiccup or three. 
Although the shutter is a rather weak point of this camera, the lens, on the other hand, is not.  This lens is the highest end Kodak Ektar lens.  As the name says, EKTAR is the highest possible ranking of any lens that Kodak produced.  In fact, it is considered their "Professional" line of lens.  If the namesake of film, Kodak Ektar 25 or Kodak Ektar 100, has anything to say about it, then it definitely lives up to its namesake!

The only issue that I have with this camera is the rangefinder window.  It doesn't seem to work, unless I point the camera at a bright light source, such as a light, or a chrome surface reflecting a lot of light.  Otherwise, I get no image at all, perhaps there is a complete lack of contrast on the internal glasses?

I have completely cleaned this particular camera, inside and out, other than the lens, as that part is the only part I cannot seem to open.  The elements are nicely glued in place, in fact, there is lock-tite holding the front embellishment in place, come on people, this is a camera not an automobile!

When I originally came into posession of this camera, I wasn't sure what to make of it.  I enjoy using old cameras, and really enjoy bringing old cameras back to life, even if I only use them once or twice a month.  The thing is, cameras such as this, are meant to be used and abused!  As you can tell by the casing of this camera, it has been used a lot, and probably taken its fair share of abuse.  I must admit, I don't exactly carry it around in a soft padded camera bag.  Nope, in my backpack for work, usually jammed with another heavier camera, such as a Praktica L2 or LLC.

Designed for military applications, in a Black model for the Navy, or a Olive model for the Army, it screams that it is a well built model.  I'd almost think this camera has been through a war, considering the amount of battle scars, pitting, abrasions, and corrosion on this model, well not that there is any rust, but certainly a fair bit of aluminum oxidation on the body.
The focusing ring is a bit tight to turn, and feels like the bearings are dry, needing a fair bit of lube to get back to soft focusing again, but I think I'll just leave it as is for now.  I don't feel like having the shutter get more gummed up than it has been, considering that it is working, for the most part!

I will continue to use this camera, and will continue to abuse this camera for as long as it continues for function.  If it eventually dies, it will be retired to a quiet corner of the display with some of its most intriguing and interesting images to come out of this camera on display with it.

One day, I intend on putting a roll of Efke IR through this camera!  I just need to get some kind of adapter (or make one) to affix my IR filter onto it...  One day soon, I hope!

Until next time, keep those shutters firing!

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment